Legal & Privacy
- Communicate with us electronically, such as via email; and
- Interact with us offline, including in person, at an event or via phone.
BDO Sri Lanka & Maldives is a member of BDO International Ltd, a UK company limited by guarantee, and forms part of the worldwide network of independent legal entities, each of which provides professional services under the name “BDO”.
How We Collect and Use Your Personal Information
We do not require registration for access to www.bdo.lk, but if you participate in any of the activities or services offered by www.bdo.lk, we will collect the personal information that we need in order to provide you with those services. Failure to provide the information that we require in order to complete the registration may prevent or delay the provision of any services to you.
"Personal Information" is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you or your household, such as your name, email address, IP address, telephone number, and broader categories of information such as your professional, educational or health information, commercial information and internet activity.
The categories of Personal Information that we collect from you depend on your interactions with us. For example, we may collect:
- Direct Identifiers, such as your name, postal address, phone number, e-mail address, IP address, online identifiers, account names and other similar identifiers.
- Professional and Employment-Related Information, such as your current and former employment, professional degrees and certifications, education background, information about references you list on your application form, certain some Direct Identifiers (in order to contact you), and other employment-related information. We may collect this information to process and manage your profile when you submit an application to us.
- Profile Information, such as information about your preferences and characteristics. We may collect this information in order to understand your preferences and tailor our services and communications to you.
In addition to the purposes for collection described above, we also may collect each category of information for the purpose of performing services for you and maintaining our relationship with you, which include:
- Maintaining and servicing the website, including managing your preferences by taking steps to improve our services to you, including to run analytics, improve our artificial intelligence tools, assess the quality of our services, and for other related internal business purposes.
- Administering and improving our Sites, including to measuring the effectiveness of the Sites, diagnosing problems with our server, analyzing where Site traffic is coming from, and to identifying our Site users.
- Communicating with you to personalize your experience with the BDO Sri Lanka & Maldives and improve our understanding of your needs, and to respond to inquiries you send to us.
- Sending you messages promoting our products and services. You may opt-out of receiving certain promotional e-mail messages from us as described in the "Marketing Opt-Out" section below.
- Protecting the health and safety of our personnel, clients, guests, and the general public.
- Complying with our legal, regulatory and risk management obligations, including establishing, exercising and/or defending legal claims.
When Does The Website Collect Personal Information?
We collect personal information from you in the following circumstances
- When you subscribe to any of our insights
- When you subscribe to any of our blogs
- When you register to attend an event
- When you enter a discussion forum
- When you contact us to request further information.
- When you download publications from our website
We collect the minimum amount of information to enable us to deal with your request or to provide a service to you. We will indicate where the provision of information is voluntary or compulsory. We would normally only request additional information to enable us to provide the most appropriate response to your request.
How Do You Use My Personal Information?
We use your personal information to:
- Identify you and create a profile for you when you register with us to use our services or to request information from us
- Verify your identity when you access our Services/Contact us
- Communicate with you with respect to the services and information that we provide.
- Provide, improve and personalize our services by analyzing information about your use of the website to understand how people use our website so that we can make it more intuitive.
- Handle your inquiries and requests
- Comply with the legal obligations to which we are subject and cooperate with regulators and law enforcement bodies
- Contact you with marketing and offers relating to products and services offered by us (unless you have opted out of marketing, or we are otherwise prevented by law from doing so).
- Personalize the marketing messages that we send to you to make them more relevant and interesting by analyzing details of the services and information that you are receiving, and your transaction history, to make suggestions for other information that may be of interest.
- Exercise our legal rights where it is necessary to do so, for example to detect violations of law.
We must have a legal basis to process your personal information. In most cases the legal basis will be one of the following:
- To meet our legitimate interests, for example to understand how you use our services and our website and to help us to derive knowledge that helps us to develop new services. When we process your personal information to meet our legitimate interests we put in place robust safeguards to ensure that your privacy is protected and to ensure that our legitimate interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. For more information about the balancing test that we carry out to process your personal information to meet our legitimate interests, please contact us at the details below.
You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to local law. These include the following rights to: request access to the personal information that we may process on www.bdo.lk update or correct your details, restrict our use of your personal information, object to our use of your personal information, to receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party, or request that your personal details are deleted from our systems.
You may exercise these rights by e-mailing email@example.com . We will treat all such requests in accordance with applicable local law.
If you would like to opt not to receive promotional or marketing e-mail from us in the future, you may let us know by sending us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the e-mail address you wish to be removed from our mailing list. However, your option not to receive promotional and marketing e-mail shall not preclude us from corresponding with you, by e-mail or otherwise, regarding your existing relationship with us.
How We Disclose Your Personal Information?
We may contract with other companies or individuals to deal with your enquiry or to otherwise operate this web site or our business activities [(e.g to run marketing campaigns host our databases, support email and messaging services and analyze information]. We may give such companies access to your personal information in connection with those purposes on our behalf. We may also share your personal information with other member firms within the BDO network (e.g. for the purposes of customer insights or service optimization) provided that this is consistent with the basis on which we have collected your personal information.
From time to time, we may disclose personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, government investigation, or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
We do not provide information to third parties for their own marketing purposes and we do not undertake mailings for third parties.
We may, as a result of a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, reorganization or liquidation of our company (a "Reorganization Event"), transfer, sell or assign your personal information to third parties involved in the Reorganization Event.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Most Web browsers can be set to inform you when a cookie has been sent to you and provide you with the opportunity to refuse that cookie. Additionally, your Flash player can be set to reject or delete Flash cookies. Refusing a cookie will generally not interfere with your use of the Sites. However, refusal of a cookie may, in some cases, preclude you from using or negatively impact the display or function of the Sites or certain areas or features of the Sites.
We may also use web beacons (a.k.a. clear GIFs, web bugs or pixel tags) to personalize your experience on the Sites, to generate information about Site traffic and trends, and to verify your viewing and/or receipt of communications. Web beacons collect information automatically, such as the type of browser that you use and your IP address. Web beacons may be used alone or in conjunction with cookies. When web beacons are used with cookies, they may link this information to other Personal Information that you have provided to us. Web beacons usually are not visible to you.
We maintain one or more databases to store your Personal Information and may retain it as reasonably required to serve you, run our business, and comply with our legal obligations. We have implemented reasonable safeguards designed to protect your information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. We also take reasonable steps designed to ensure that third parties who work with us agree to protect the Personal Information.
In order to provide services to you via www.bdo.lk we may need to transfer your personal information outside the EEA to countries that may not provide a level of protection of personal information that may be regarded as equivalent to that afforded under the European data protection legislation. Whenever your personal information is transferred internationally, we will take appropriate steps to ensure its security and confidentiality in accordance with applicable data protection law. For more information as to how we protect your personal information please contact us using the details below.
We will only keep personal data for as long as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, or as required by applicable law or regulation. Unless there are any overriding legal, regulatory or contractual requirements, we will retain records of services provided (which may include personal data) in accordance with our document retention policy.
Should you wish to complain about our use of your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer via email at email@example.com . We will investigate all complaints received and will endeavor to respond to complaints promptly.
We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
Last Updated [April 2020]
This web site is intended to provide general information on the BDO network, and the professional services and solutions provided by the BDO member firms around the world.
We may use "cookies" to keep, and sometimes track, information about you.
Cookies are small text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a web site or application. Your web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome) then sends these cookies back to the web site or application on each subsequent visit so that they can recognize you and remember things like personalized details or user preferences. Cookies do not damage your system. You can reset your browser to refuse any cookie or to alert you to when a cookie is being sent.
BDO does not share this data with third parties. Our cookies do not store sensitive information such as your name or address, they simply just enable us to see behavior on the web site to help us improve your experience. However, if you’d prefer to restrict, block or delete cookies from www.bdo.in, or any other web site, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different, so check the ‘Help’ menu of your browser (or your mobile phone’s handset manual) to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
How to control my cookies
There are various ways that you can control and manage your cookies which are discussed in a bit more detail below. Please remember that any settings you change will not just affect www.bdo.in cookies. These changes will apply to all web sites that you visit (unless you choose to block cookies from web sites).
Managing cookies in my browser
Most modern browsers will allow you to:
- See what cookies you’ve got and delete them on an individual basis
- Block third party cookies
- Block cookies from web sites
- Block all cookies from being set
- Delete all cookies when you close your browser
- You should be aware that any preferences will be lost if you delete cookies. This includes where you have opted out from cookies, as this requires an opt-out cookie to be set. Also, if you block cookies completely many web sites will not work properly and some functionality on these web sites will not work at all.
Managing analytics cookies
It is possible to opt out of having your anonymized browsing activity within web sites recorded by analytics cookies. www.bdo.in uses Google Analytics and you can opt out of their cookies by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page. Please note that this will take you to Google Analytics’ web site and generate a ‘no thanks’ cookie, which will stop any further cookies being set by those third parties.
Last Updated [April 2020]